Futsal is blowing up as players fall in love with this exciting indoor game. In October we met with one of the most successful futsal coaches in US history and talked to him about the growth of the sport. Keith Tozer told Bownet that players love the high scoring, constant action and rapid pace of the game. Its growth continues as athletes discover this fun, skillful game.
(Futsal field on top of a Tokyo sky-scraper)
How To Play Futsal
Futsal is played with five players on each side. The indoor field is smaller than a soccer field and is played on a hard surface that measures 25-42 m long x 15-25 m wide. There are no walls, only lines. The futsal ball is smaller than a soccer ball creating a lot less bounce.
General Laws, Rules and Regulations
- There are two 20 minute halves.
- Players cannot touch the ball with their arms or hands (let's hope you knew this one!).
- The goalie can only play the ball for four seconds in their own half, and cannot touch the ball another time in their half unless touched first by the opponent.
- Each team has a one minute time out per half when the ball is in their possession.
- Substitutions can be made on the fly.
- If the game is tied at the end, it's sudden death rule. The first team to score in overtime wins.
- If the ball hits the ceiling, it is out of bounds.
- Free kicks are awarded when another team pushes, touches, trips or holds the ball.
Why You Should Play Futsal
You may be wondering why you should give the game a try. Futsal lures many everyday soccer players to the indoor fields as well as other athletes looking for a new game.
- It is the only indoor game sanctioned by FIFA.
- Futsal players often credit the game for increasing their skill and technique. Since there are no walls, you will be forced work on ball control and touch.
- Futsal players have a much smaller team with only five opponents on the field meaning they must learn to work with each player on a higher level.
- For the same reason as above, each player gets more touches on the ball and gets to work on their foot skills at a much higher rate than on a regular 11-a-side game. If the ball is not at your feet, because there are only 4 other team-mates you are still forced to be ultra focused on the play bc the ball can come back right at you at any moment.
- Players must make quick decisions to keep the ball in play. There is constant excitement as the game is more fast paced than regular soccer and often has higher scores keeping even the spectators more entertained.
We're sure you can come up with countless of other reasons to play, but we think the ones above are great reasons to get you excited and get you started!
How To Get Started
Search for leagues in your area beginning with contacting the State Futsal Association. Go to US Futsal to register as a coach and for new teams.
Over 12 million players are registered to play Futsal across the globe. Over 110,000 of these players are in the US. Futsal continues to rapidly spread as more players join the fast, fun sport. Young players, coaches and distinguished soccer players fall in love with it as they learn more about the game and see what it can do for them. Futsal is also getting more of a national spotlight as these players bring it to their hometown recreation centers. The Olympic games is next on the checklist and the future for this exciting, skillful game of Futsal is limitless!
(The most recent 2016 FIFA Futsal champs, Argentina)
Official FIFA Sized Portable Futsal Goals
You guys now know how to play Futsal, why you should play it and how to get started. Next step, get yourself, team, league or rec center some portable Futsal goals!
Bownet manufactures the best official FIFA sized (2M X 3M) portable Futsal goal. Here are a few features of the Bownet Futsal goal:
- Bownet's E.A.S.® technology (Energy Absorption System®) diffuses ball energy throughout the goal to extend its lifespan, give more stability and balance, and add flexibility upon impact.
- BOW-poles and powder coated telescoping frame constructed to distribute goal weight across the bottom base
Goal sets up in 120 seconds without the use of tools, guide wires, or heavy steel crossbars giving you a quick set up, take down time, and reducing risk of injury during game and practice.
Check out the official product page to learn more and we really hope that you're inspired to get out there and play!